Thursday 2 February 2012

“Burns Night” with Troon 41 Club – 17th January 2012

Accompanied by Regional Councillor Donald Watson, I attended my first Burns Night of the year in Troon. What made this a very special evening for me was that it was held in the Bachelor’s Club in Tarbolton, where Burns started the Debating Society and also where he attended his Masonic meetings. 

The room was small, but the history around the walls was tremendous, with old pictures and artefacts distributed around the walls and in various cabinets. As well as the traditional haggis, the highlight of the evening must have been the singing and poetry readings/recitals and also listening to the history of the Club. It was also great to see Dave Hadden who used to be a Tabler in my Club East Grinstead,

The downside to a wonderful evening must have been listening to me trying to recite the Selkirk Grace in my best possible London accent!

No comments:

Post a Comment